Page Created On: 11/29/2014 1:10:28 AM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Anyone use Sucanat for canning jam or no sugar at all?
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Anyone use Sucanat for canning jam or no sugar at all?

Replies to this thread: 8

By: ICropAlot   on  6/6/2005 7:23:18 PM

This year will be my second year canning. Last year all I did was beets. This year I want to do strawberry and rhubarb jam. I want the jam to be healthy and as low sugar as possible. All the recipes I have seen use like 6-7 cups of sugar. Is there a way to can without sugar? I will not use Splenda - I don't believe in using genetically altered food. I don't use any artificial sweetners either.

Has anyone tried using Sucanat for canning? Any luck?
Is there a way to can strawberry jam without any sugar at all?

Any insights and/or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Christina

By: rhiamom   on  6/7/2005 9:55:48 AM

Remember that sugar is a food preservative. I'd advise making jam with Sucanat only if you are able to get a reliable recipe from someone who has already done it successfully. What you might want to experiment with is called freezer jam. It has to be kept in the freezer before you open it, and in the refrigerator after is is opened. Those recipes use a lot less sugar, and should adapt to Sucanat better. But then you need the freezer space for the whole batch of jam.

By: MJVA24   on  6/7/2005 11:19:16 AM

I just saw that Ball has a pectin that you can use no sugar using fruit juice instead otherwise you can use Pomana's pectin available at health food stores to make the jam using any sweetener you like, but it uses less. You can use honey, juice or whatever.

By: MJVA24   on  6/7/2005 4:53:56 PM

If you do use less sugar you will want to make sure you really can them! Sometimes when you simply turn them over they will unseal later and ruin all your hard work as they will not last without sugar

By: ASM   on  6/8/2005 6:41:18 AM

I only use sucanat for our sugar except for making jams. I tried orange marmalade with the sucanat and none of it set. Soooo I won't try that again. The only way I'd try something different is if I can find someone who has used apple juice as the sweetener and can try some of their jam.
We do make freezer jams and yes they do use less sugar but it's still alot.
Annette

By: ebl57   on  6/11/2005 12:34:25 AM

I once tried the sugar free pectin from SureJell or one of the standard ones and all the jams molded in the jar.

I make jam all the time now and I use the sugar, and just make sure to use less jam when I eat it.(HA!)

I made raspberry, blueberry, banana today. Mmmm
We made strawberry pecan last time, MMMmmmm
Blackberries and sour cherries are next pickings next week.

If you find an alternative that works....I'll buy it!
Ellen

By: joannes   on  6/11/2005 12:40:58 PM

I use Pomona's Universal Pectin. You can use any sweetener or none at all. See their website for reasons why this is possible. I've been using it for almost 4 years now with great results.
www.pomonapectin.com

By: ebl57   on  6/11/2005 11:45:53 PM

THANKS!!!!! I'll try the Pomona's!

Ellen

By: ICropAlot   on  6/13/2005 12:11:41 PM

joannes

Thanks for posting about Pomona. I checked out the website, but I don't think I am going to try it. I don't want to add the preservative phosphate to my jams.

I would really like to try freezer jam as someone suggested, but freezer space is very limited. I guess I will just stick to the regular sugar method.

Thanks for all your responses.

Christina

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Anyone use Sucanat for canning jam or no sugar at all?

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy