Page Created On: 10/24/2014 4:28:58 AM for Titus2 Cookbook :: what to do with cucumbers besides pickles?
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

what to do with cucumbers besides pickles?

Replies to this thread: 9

By: angelasmom   on  7/16/2005 5:54:29 PM

I need some canning recipes besides pickels...we have cucumbers running out of our ears!

thanks,
dena

By: kimm   on  7/16/2005 11:58:47 PM

This is not a canning recipe but it does use up cucumbers and is a great addition to summer meals.

Marinated cucumbers:

4 cucumbers(sliced)
1cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1TBS salt

mix last 4 ingredients in a bowl and pour over cucumbers. Chill or enjoy right away.

By: ICropAlot   on  7/17/2005 8:40:48 PM

I have 3 relish recipes in my Ball Blue book. They are copyrighted though. If you go to:

http://www.homecanning.com

You can do a recipe search. It is Ball's website.

Christina

By: NancyL   on  7/18/2005 9:05:16 AM

I asked this same thing last summer! It seems I can't do a link (Sarah, could you remind us how?) But if you click on "search" at the right, and search for cucumbers, the thread is a little ways down, titled "any ideas for an abundance of cucumbers??"

A friend felt sorry for my family having so many cucumber experiments and spent a lot of time making me up a recipe box of only recipes that contain cucumbers! Here are a few of them that were different from most you see. I haven't tried them.

Red Cucumber Ring Pickles
2 gal. cuke rings (peeled & seeded)
2 c. lime
3 c. vinegar
1 bottle red food coloring
1 T. alum
10 c. sugar
8 sticks cinnamon
1 pkg. cinnamon candies
Combine cuke rings, lime & 8 1/2 qts. water in large container. Let stand for 24 hrs. Drain and rinse in clear water. Cover with water & let stand 3 hrs, then drain. Place cukes in large kettle, add 1 c. vinegar, food coloring, alum, and enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer 2 hrs, then drain. Combine remaining 2 c. vinegar, 2 c. water, sugar, cinnamon, and candy in large sauce pan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour over cukes & let stand 24 hrs. Drain, reserving syrup. Bring syrup to a boil, pour over cukes. Let stand 24 hrs. again. Repeat procedure for one more day, then heat syrup & cukes. Pack into hot sterilized jars, covering with syrup, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Cover with sterilized lids, screw band tight
(her instructions stop there...I guess they will seal by themselves like jam does?)

Cream of cucumber soup
4 cukes
1 c. chopped celery
2 T chopped onion
1 T. chopped green pepper
4 c. milk
4 T. butter, melted
4 T. flour
1 t. salt
dash of pepper
1 c. cream
Pare & finely chop cucumbers. Place in double boiler. Add celery, onion, peppers & milk & blend well. Cook for 20 min. or until cukes are tender. Combine butter, flour, salt & pepper & add to cuke mixture gradually. Cook for 10 min, stirring until thickened. Press mixture through a sieve. Add cream & heat. Garnish with parsley.

for oily skin-
Puree 1/2 cuke in blender, mix in 1 T. plain yogurt. Apply to face. Wait 30 min. & rinse with warm water.

By: KKraft   on  7/23/2005 3:56:09 PM

Creamy Cucumbers

**I never measure so I'm guessing.**

2 cucumbers (sliced and peeled(if you prefer)
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp sugar

The dressing should be a little thinner than what you'd put on a macaroni or potato salad. Its basically the same dressing you'd put on a simple macaroni salad.

By: NancyL   on  7/25/2005 7:46:32 AM

I asked the same thing last summer! If you click on the search thing to the right of the page & search for *cucumbers*
you will see the thread, titled "any ideas for an abundance of cucumbers?"
hth!

By: ebl57   on  7/27/2005 1:03:05 AM

Have you ever had cucumber soup vichyssoise? MMMMmmmm Refreshing delicious cold soup. I did a quick search on google and it shows many recipes. They also had a cucumber yogurt soup as well. I miss my gardens!

Ellen

By: happyhousewife   on  1/18/2007 8:16:09 AM

We love them on BLT's! My DH even says its an underrated sandwich item. *grin*

By: ASM   on  1/29/2007 3:01:15 PM

I dry them too and make cucumber dip throughout the year. YUM!

Annette

By: Abinsmom   on  3/2/2007 9:37:32 AM

My dad has always eaten cucumber sandwiches using marinated cukes. They are delicious!

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: what to do with cucumbers besides pickles?

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy