Page Created On: 10/31/2014 11:20:56 PM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Getting prune juice to taste better....
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Getting prune juice to taste better....

Replies to this thread: 6

By: TammyTE   on  7/2/2007 3:20:27 PM

Anyone have any ideas for getting prune juice to taste better? I was trying to think of things to mix with it. A friend of mine is giving it to her 4 year old for bowel issues. He drinks it, but doesn't like it and she is having to give it to him daily.

Thanks,
Tammy

By: dbanner   on  7/2/2007 10:15:51 PM

How about eating the prunes instead? I heard this from a doctor---cut up apples into strips the shape of french fries---then put baby food prunes in a cup for dipping. Kids seem to like it!!!
Also, the orange flavored prunes are very good to eat.
One last tip---an old recipe of my grandmothers said to put prunes in a jar and cover with chocolate milk, then chill---said they were quite a treat. I guess it would taste a little like chocolate-covered raisins.
Wonder if you could make jelly from the prune juice and have it on toast every morning??
Remember all prunes are now packaged as "dried plums".
Let us know what happens!

By: Abinsmom   on  7/3/2007 10:30:28 AM

One of my sons had a similar issue and I couldn't get him to buy off on prune juice, either! I ended up buying Benefiber, a flavorless soluble fiber product that yields similar results as prune juice. I dissolved in it milk or sprinkled it into foods -- he never knew the difference and it really did help the situation.

Another friend of mine with a son with similar issues simply tried to increase her son's intake of vegetables. Since he didn't like vegetables, she lightly steamed them, then used her blender to puree them, then added them to spaghetti sauce and soups and other foods he would eat. She had to be diligent and creative about it, but it helped him without having to resort to prune juice!

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hope it helps provide some options for your friend!

By: AndreaS   on  7/3/2007 10:47:48 AM

Cherry Essence Prunes (Dried Plums) taste GREAT. My kids LOVE them!

By: ASM   on  7/3/2007 10:49:00 AM

When my daughter was younger and had issues we would give her Fig Newton cookie bars. She really liked those and they did the trick.

Annette

By: TammyTE   on  7/3/2007 10:17:05 PM

Thanks ladies! I will pass this along to my friend. I knew you could help.

God Bless,
Tammy

By: Abinsmom   on  7/5/2007 11:05:02 AM

Mmmmm, yes, I'd forgotten about those orange-flavored prunes -- they are yummy!

And any dried fruit that your friend's son might like -- raisins and craisins are favorites around here.

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Getting prune juice to taste better....

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy