Page Created On: 7/23/2014 1:16:32 PM for Titus2 Cookbook :: any ideas for an abundance of cucumbers???
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

any ideas for an abundance of cucumbers???

Replies to this thread: 15

By: NancyL   on  7/5/2004 3:10:17 PM

We already have sweet pickles & dill pickles & "refrigerator pickles" (a cucumber & onion salad). We substituted cucumbers for zucchini in zucchini bread (not bad!). We took cucumbers to church to pass around! Does anyone have any other favorite cucumber ideas? Thanks in advance!!

By: ASM   on  7/5/2004 6:32:11 PM

First off I hope our cucumbers do as well as yours! We love them around here.
My family would be happy with them served at every meal. I sometimes slice them and cover with italian dressing.
I've heard if you cut them the longway and scoop out the inside you can stuff with tuna salad.
Cucumbers with fresh dill dressing is good.
Add them to any salads (tossed, potato, etc)
Enjoy your bounty. I'm going to try the zuchini bread substititute you did.
Annette

By: ICropAlot   on  7/5/2004 9:16:15 PM

Cucumber sandwiches

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
½ teaspoon of garlic salt
½ teaspoon of dill weed
1 teaspoon chopped chives
8 slices of your favorite bread - or bake your own little loaves with specialty tins
1 seedless cucumber

Combine the cream cheese, garlic salt, chives and dill in a bowl. Mix well. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Cut the cucumber into rounds. Set aside.
Using a biscuit cutter or the top of a glass, cut the middle out of each slice of bread. Top each slice with some of the cream cheese mixture, then a slice of cucumber. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Cucumber Salsa

2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoons minced jalapeno
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons sugar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve immediately.
Both of these recipes are off the internet and are not copywrited

By: RuthAnn   on  7/7/2004 6:24:48 AM

My family likes cucumbers chopped up with chopped green peppers and tomatoes. Then you put Italian dressing over them. This is really good.

In Christ,
RuthAnn

By: in_his_care   on  7/7/2004 7:55:58 AM

One of the salads our family likes with cukes is to peel and slice them, add some onion sliced and tomatoes chopped and then pour ranch dressing over it all. Can be served right away or let sit in frig for awhile. So... good!

By: momofeight2   on  7/9/2004 7:58:28 PM

I came on to post this recipe...I know you said you already do it, but thought I'd post it here for thos who've never heard of it. I hadn't and a friend made this yummy salad for us!

Sweet cucumber Salad

7C sliced Cucumbers
1C sliced onions
1C sliced green peppers

Put all in glass jar

Heat 1C cider vinegar, 2C sugar and scant Tbsp salt, 1Tbsp celerey seed on stove until sugar dissolves.

pour over salad, refrigerate overnight! Yum!

Serve with pimentos or red peppers for added color:) Enjoy!
THis keeps for quite a while.

By: MJVA24   on  7/10/2004 12:20:51 PM

We all love cucumbers! We can eat them raw, tons of them with just some salt!
One thing though I love is a cucumber tomato salad. There are a couple ways to do them, the first way halve and slice thin cucumbers, and about 3 tomatoes and a couple of tops of green onions sliced small. Add a little bit of oil, salt to taste and dill weed.
The other way is to salt them let set for a little bit and then drain, add sour cream, pepper, and dill weed to taste.

We put them in green salads, or a russian salad where they take cabbage and slice really, really thin, and then thinly sliced cucumbers, dill weed, oil and salt and some onion powder.

I like to mix them into chicken salad for sandwiches instead of celery. I like to also slic them thin lengthwise and top them on regular meat sandwiches

By: ASM   on  7/10/2004 1:23:22 PM

Just remembered that tabouli salad requires lots of cucumbers. It is bulgar wheat, tomatoes and cucumbers. Most people put mint in it but we don't care for mint. Annette

By: NancyL   on  7/12/2004 1:43:12 PM

Wow! Thank you for all the yummy-sounding ideas!

By: NancyL   on  7/13/2004 6:18:05 PM

Our latest cucumber experiments:
1) Diced cucumbers in the spaghetti sauce- everyone liked it. I am not usually one to hide vegetables in things, but the family was starting to feel rather over-cucumbered.
2) Diced cucumbers in meatloaf- tasted fine to me. My husband rolled his eyes, though, and just said it was "OK."
3) Cucumber cake- used a carrot cake recipe & substituted grated cucumber. I probably should have drained off the cucumber juice, since they are much juicier than carrots. The cake came out heavy, didn't rise much, but very moist. It was fine to me, the children liked it, but my husband said he supposed it was OK but that I shouldn't feel that I have to use every cucumber out of the garden. Maybe I'll make more pickles, which will keep for later!

By: ASM   on  7/14/2004 2:13:46 PM

How about making relish. I never have but if you're going to do pickles that might be another way to use them. Annette

By: mariposa   on  7/15/2004 6:48:42 AM

I thought of this thread yesterday while looking in a Korean cookbook. There were a couple of recipes using cukes - a beef & cucumber stirfry, and a cold noodle soup with cucumbers in it. They are copyrighted, so I can't post them, but I'm sure you'd find something similar if you google it.

Cheyenne:)

By: NancyL   on  7/16/2004 4:30:26 AM

Thank you for all the ideas!! I made relish yesterday. I started with this recipe I found online:
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/cucrel.htm
but used only 2 onions, added 2 T minced garlic, used only 1 T red pepper flakes, and omitted the turmeric (didn't have). My husband and I thought it turned out very nice. The children thought it was too spicy, so I may do it again with no red pepper & see how we like it. It made 6 pints.

By: NancyL   on  7/17/2004 8:17:04 PM

OK, this will probably be my last cucumber report :-)
I tried the relish again, without red pepper flakes, and the children liked it better. My husband and I like both ways. Without the red pepper, it tastes sort of like the salad MomofEight posted above, but in a form that is ready to can. Thanks for all the help!

By: ASM   on  7/19/2004 12:01:28 PM

I'm glad you posted this because our cucumbers should begin being ready in a couple to three days. Annette

By: Laurean   on  7/19/2004 7:40:04 PM

My dad made this recipe out of overipe cucumbers.

Peel the cucumber. Slice it in half widthwise. Core it.

Stuff the core with your favorite meatloaf mixture.

In an glass baking pan, stand the cukes end up. Pour in beef or chicken broth.

Cover with tin foil and bake at 350* until done. Make a light gravy out of the broth. Serve with buttered noodles.

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: any ideas for an abundance of cucumbers???

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy