Page Created On: 7/23/2014 3:20:26 PM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Pasta sauce recipe that tastes like Prego anyone?
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Pasta sauce recipe that tastes like Prego anyone?

Replies to this thread: 8

By: JulieInUSA2   on  8/24/2004 5:12:29 PM

Our garden is producing too many tomatoes to eat, but not enough tomatoes to can! I would like to make some sauce for pasta that taste like Prego--yummmy!

I have made my own sauce before and it tasted like Ragu--not our taste!

Does anyone have a recipe for a really good pasta sauce? I need to get these tomatoes cooked and ready for pasta and meatballs for church on Sunday. TIA!

Julie

By: Jill_OH   on  8/25/2004 4:49:14 AM

I would love this too as our garden is overflowing and my hubby's favorite sauce is Prego and I have never been able to come close to that. ;-)

God bless,

Jill

By: IAdoreMy3   on  8/25/2004 9:50:12 AM

I do have a very good recipe; the sauce is not as fine as Prego, but is tastes really good. It calls for canned crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, but I assume you'll know how to substitute/make it with your own. I don't know how, but it sounds like you may know??? :) This is a big portion, that I divide into 4 and use each portion like I would with 1 jar of Prego.

PASTA SAUCE

1 1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 can (12oz) tomato paste
3 cans (28 oz each) Italian style crushed plain tomatoes in puree
2 c water
4 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
4 bay leaves
4 tsp dry basil leaves
2 tsp oregano
4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Sautee onion until until golden. Pour everything into large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hrs. Freeze in portions. Makes about 3-4 jars' worth. If you want this to be a meat sauce, you can add 1 Lb Italian sausage or ground beef. If the sauce is too tart for you, you can add a little more sugar, and maybe a little more salt too.

Terese

By: mariposa   on  8/25/2004 1:37:41 PM

What is the difference between Ragu & Prego? I've never had them close enough together to be able to compare?? We like a thicker, sweeter sauce, so I wonder which one we would like best?

Usually we make our own or get whatever is cheaper - actually walmart's generic brand is pretty good. And when we make our own, it's important to add the sugar - that does wonders for the flavor.

Cheyenne

By: IAdoreMy3   on  8/26/2004 1:33:16 PM

I think that the difference between Prego and Ragu is mainly that Ragu is made up of tomato paste, while Prego use whole tomatoes........ Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone... We have never used Ragu, so I can't tell you about the taste difference.
Terese

By: Jill_OH   on  8/29/2004 6:42:35 AM

Prego is also thicker than Ragu. There is a definite taste difference. I like both, but my hubby prefers Prego so that is what we go with. ;-)

By: JulieInUSA2   on  8/30/2004 4:14:17 PM

Terese, That recipe is great! I added more sugar.

The first ingredient on the Prego jar was tomatoes or tomato puree (tomatoes paste and water.) The ingredients in the recipe listed above were similar to the Prego label; they also listed oil so I sauted my onions in oil, then added the remaining ingredients.

I simplified the recipe in 2 different ways that may save someone else time:

First time: I scrubbed my sink and poured boiling water over the tomatoes in the sink. As the skins began to split open, I added enough warm water to reach in the sink and pull out the tomatoes to take off the skin. This seemed much easier than the traditional hot water method!

Second time: I cored the tomatoes and then chopped off the top, bottom and edges of tomato (peel/skin). I dropped the tomato skins into my VitaMix and pureed them. The skin totally liquifies and the seeds even break up. Then I just chopped up the remaining tomato pulp and added it to the onions which were cooking in oil. We all like chunky tomato sauce so this works really nice and FAST!!

I ran out of fresh garlic and dried basil, so I'm cooking a batch with powdered garlic and fresh basil.

This recipe is a keeper in my recipe notebook!! Thank you so much!

By: IAdoreMy3   on  8/31/2004 9:47:32 PM

Glad you liked it, Julie!! I too add more sugar, and since I don't grow enough tomatoes I used the canned Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes. I'm sure yours tastes much better though, with homegrown tomatoes! :)
I forgot to mention to take out the bay leaves after cooking the sauce... If you didn't do that, I'm sure whoever gets it on their dinner plate will do it for you! LOL But you probably knew already.
Terese

By: MJVA24   on  9/1/2004 12:21:56 AM

My sister didn't like store bought sauce at all, but likes Prego and our spaghetti sauce.
It is a very big recipe so I don't know if that is what you are looking for and you have to start with canned paste and puree or else you would have to cook it down forever more to get the right flavor.

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Pasta sauce recipe that tastes like Prego anyone?

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy