Page Created On: 8/21/2014 2:58:14 PM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Rice Cooker vs. Crock pot
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Rice Cooker vs. Crock pot

Replies to this thread: 11

By: biwmwn2   on  5/23/2007 11:30:41 AM

Can I use a Crock pot like a Rice Cooker??? (I have lots of Crockpots, not Rice Cooker)!

What are the guide lines to make the Rice in a Crockpot, like you would a Rice Cooker???

THANKS for any help in this area!

By: AndreaS   on  5/24/2007 7:29:03 PM

I don't have a rice cooker.....but I have tried rice in the crockpot several times and it is always mushy in spots and uncooked in others.
HTH,
Andrea

By: smurfy   on  5/24/2007 10:21:37 PM

I just throw the rice and water in and let it cook (same amounts of water and rice as calls for in the normal cooking....microwave or stovetop directions). I put it on high and let it cook....I have never timed it to see how long it takes, I just check it about every hour or so until it's done.

SO I guess the short answer is that yes, you can cook your rice in a crockpot. I have never had a rice cooker so I don't know how it compares to using one of those, sorry!

Shawna

By: biwmwn2   on  5/25/2007 11:38:11 AM

Shawna,

I'm assuming that I'm to buy LONG GRAIN ;0)

IF you check it every hour, could you give me a guess as to how MANY times you check it until it's done?? (Like every hour twice, would be 2 hours, etc)

THANKS, I'm exciting to get an idea of timing so we I can plan a meal around it! Plus, I use my crockpot for everything, so using it for this, is just aTHE CATS MEOW!

By: cookinmom03   on  5/30/2007 1:34:30 PM

I have both a crock pot and a rice cooker and I really think a rice cooker is a worthwhile investment, that can't be replaced by a crock pot. Some rice cookers are quite inexpensive also. With a rice cooker you just put in the rice and water and when it's done it will signal you and switch to a keep warm setting. My rice cooker will keep white rice ready to eat for up to 12 hours. This gives me a lot less to worry about in the kitchen. My side dish is ready whenever I am. I never have to check on it or worry about it once I hit "start". Mine has a timer built in so sometimes I make brown rice with that by setting it up earlier in the day (it takes over about an hour) and guessing about when I need it done by (it'll stay good on the warm cycle for 2 hrs.). I have to say that I love having a rice cooker and wouldn't be without one.

By: heartathome2   on  6/5/2007 10:31:38 AM

I've never tried rice in my crockpot alone, but have cooked it in a recipe with other items and found the same trouble as AndreaS-some of the rice gets overcooked while other parts of the rice is undercooked and crunchy.
I finally bought a rice cooker this past winter and I love it. I only spent $20 on it, but it works perfectly and as cookinmom03 has noted, it switches to the warming setting on its own when the rice is fully cooked.
I have cooked long and short brown rice (takes around 40-45 minutes), white rice (about 25-30 minutes) and even rice mixes (following the directions for how much liquid to add-about 20-25 minutes) in it. All have turned out perfectly.
Happy cooking!

By: Abinsmom   on  6/6/2007 8:49:36 PM

We got a rice cooker as a wedding gift and ended up using it 2-4 times a week to make rice and steam vegetables. It was a very simple model with a push-lever timer -- a real no-brainer, which is perfect for me. And it made perfect rice, every time, brown or white. And then....it died. I was horrified!

I shopped high and low and couldn't find the EXACT model or anything like it! Everything I found was much more fancy than I needed, and much bigger (we are only a family of 4). I finally settled on a replacement that had one extra feature I didn't want (something called a spice infuser -- completely worthless in my opinion!). Anyway, my replacement is a Black and Decker Flavor Scenter Steamer Plus, about $30 at my local variety store (Target, Fred Meyer, etc.). Never mind the 'flavor scenter' part (we never use it!), the steamer makes perfect rice and steams veggies perfectly. Now with two children, we use it at least 4 days a week on average. We've had the new one for about 4 years now and it's starting to show some signs of wear -- I'm getting nervous about having to find a replacement!

HeartAtHome -- I'm interested in how you make rice mixes in your rice cooker. My rice cooker has two different places to put liquid -- water goes in the base, then rice goes in the rice bowl with some amount of liquid. How do you know how much water to put where?

By: Laonoise   on  8/21/2007 8:22:13 PM

I've stopped using my rice cooker, as I got tired of how hard it was to wash. I don't recall ever using my crock pot for rice alone. But Pampered Chef has a really great microwave rice cooker. It's $20 and will cook up to 9 cups of cooked rice. Depending on your microwave, it might cook it in 20 minutes or so. It has a boil-over protection, so you won't have a mess to clean up. You can also use it for cooking potatoes, veggies, or leftovers.

Debbie

By: proverbs31amy1   on  8/27/2007 11:06:24 AM

I make pilafs in my rice cooker. I have an Aroma brand that holds 7 or 8 cups. Simple function. Button that you push down and it turns it on to Cook, when done it switches automatically to Warm. You add the water and rice in the smae bowl and it has a steamer basket that you can steam veggies at the same time- I add veggies halfway through for crisp tender veggies. For rice pilafs- I add a small amount of oil (usually butter or olive oil), toast the rice until fragrant and lightly brown (watch brown rice carefully as it's already brown), add finely chopped veggies (carrots, celery, onion, garlic etc whatever you have on hand or like to eat) and sauteed until veggies are transparent (often I will have to hold down the cook button to complete this task), add liquid (I usually use a broth much more flavorful) then toss in a handful of dried parsley (if using fresh toss in after rice is cooked) and set cooker to Cook. You can make AWEsome pilafs this way! A family fave here is adding fresh chopped baby bellas are particularly good- but button mushrooms are cheaper and very tasty too (with above veggies or whatever of them I have on hand) and use beef broth as the liquid. Crazy good.

By: strollernut   on  10/20/2007 6:31:28 PM

I got one as a Christmas gift a few years ago, and thought I'd never use it. But we do, all the time! It makes perfect rice, and I always struggled with getting the texture just right on the stove top. Especially with brown rice I find this a real boon--the only brown rice we liked when I was cooking it on the stove top was Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice, and while speedy, it wasn't cheap (about two meals out of a box). With the rice cooker, I can buy the cheapest bulk brown rice I can find and not worry about how it'll turn out. (I've used brown rice from Aldi's, which I'm assuming is the cheapest of the cheap, and it was just fine!)
Mine is a super cheap bare bones one from Wal-mart, I'm guessing it was less than $20 (one of those Christmas end-of-aisle specials). I've never tried to steam anything in it, but rice it does well. It does cook more rice than I would normally cook if I was using the stove top, but I've actually found this to be an advantage oddly enough--now I always have a cup or two of leftover rice to add to other meals to 'stretch' them, where before I wouldn't have bothered cooking some just to add to it if the recipe didn't call for it, you know?

By: Elligirl   on  1/25/2009 5:42:56 PM

I'm a single father of a five year old and I want to prepare healthy food for my daughter with the least amount of time dedicated to the effort. I'm also just learning to cook.

Can a rice cooker do a lot of what a crock pot can do? What are the limits / what can a crock pot do that a rice cooker can't? .... and vice versa?

I've always heard that steaming food retains more nutrients. Does that apply here?

Aspects that appeal to me are consistent and good results, delayed start times, as well as auto shut-down / keep warm modes. To get good quality and a relatively long lifespan, what do you need to spend?

Do I need one of each? I like rice, steamed veggies, and various stews.

There are just the two of us - though (hopefully) one day there may be one more grownup.

Thanks for your advice.

By: rhiamom   on  1/26/2009 9:09:20 AM

Elligirl, I really suggest one of each. The reason is that rice cookers and crock pots cook at different temperatures. A rice cooker brings the liquid to a full boil. A crockpot doesn't, or at least isn't *supposed* to. It's supposed to simmer, where bubbles form at the bottom of the liquid and rise toward the top, but disappear before they reach the surface. The different cooking temperatures mean that cooking times would need to be adjusted, as would the amount of liquid, when switching from one to the other. Not ideal for a beginning cook!

Yes, steaming retains more nutrients. You can steam fish using the steamer insert of a rice cooker while the rice cooks. Or a vegetable. Or both, if it's a big steamer insert and only two people. You can't steam in a crockpot; you can't slow-cook very well in a rice cooker.

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Rice Cooker vs. Crock pot

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy