Page Created On: 7/28/2014 3:15:43 AM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Oversized cucumbers
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Oversized cucumbers

Replies to this thread: 11

Oversized cucumbers

By: Laonoise   on  7/3/2007 5:43:22 PM

I just picked 6 oversized cucumbers from our garden. The last two weeks have been very rainy, and we lost track of what our cucumber plants were doing. I've been told oversized cucumbers aren't too great. But there must be recipes where I could use them. Do you know of any?

Oversized cucumbers

By: LittleBugsMom   on  7/4/2007 5:23:53 PM

I use oversized cucumbers to make cucumber apple rings. They take a little time to make, but these are a real favorite in our family. If you're interested, I'll post the recipe for you.

Leah

Oversized cucumbers

By: dbanner   on  7/4/2007 10:14:38 PM

The seeds might be big, so you don't want to eat the seeds, but if you slice the cuke lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, then you can use the rest any usual way. Taste before using to be sure they're not bitter.
If our garden veggies get way too big, we feed them to the chickens---they think it's a treat!

Oversized cucumbers

By: ASM   on  7/5/2007 7:00:51 AM

Peel, cut in half the long way, scoop out seeds, stuff with chicken or tuna salad and serve.

Annette

Oversized cucumbers

By: Laonoise   on  7/5/2007 2:31:23 PM

I've never of cucumber apple rings. What are they?

Oversized cucumbers

By: fiveunderfive1   on  7/5/2007 4:49:36 PM

When I am disappointed with bitter cucumbers (I don't grow my own, so I'm disappointed often...) I make a vinegar salad with them. I don't measure... but I probably use a couple of Tablespoons of white vinegar and stir (and mostly dissolve) a couple of teaspoons of sugar into that... I also like to add a scant bit of hot chili paste to it! Then I peel the cukes, scoop out the seeds, and slice them thinly into the vinegar along with some thinly sliced onion and carrot. (I use my vegetable peeler to 'slice' the carrots thinly) I like to let it soak in the vinegar mix for at least a half hour, longer is better IMO though. We like to eat this as a side dish to our Indonesian and stir fry type dinners. (Since we typically have just plain cukes with those dinners anyhow!)

Oversized cucumbers

By: ASM   on  7/5/2007 7:04:32 PM

Leah,

Please post your apple cucumber ring recipe

Annette

Oversized cucumbers

By: LittleBugsMom   on  7/6/2007 11:56:53 AM

Cucumber Apple Rings

Peel 7-9 pounds of cucumbers; slice and core. (I just peel, cut in sections lengthwise, remove the core, and cut into chunks, because it takes less time.) Soak for 24 hours in 1 cup of lime to a gallon of water. Drain and rinse several times.

Soak for 3 hours in ice water. Drain and rinse. Simmer for 2 hours in a mixture of the following:

1 cup vinegar
1 large bottle red food coloring (I'm not sure how much this is--I usually just use a few tablespoons)
1 tablespoon alum powder
enough water to cover

Drain and pack into jars. Make a syrup of the following:

3 cups vinegar
12 sticks cinnamon
3 cups water
2 packages red hot candies
11 cups sugar (I use about 9 cups)

Bring to a boil and pour over cucumbers in jars. Seal immediately.

This makes approximately 12 pints.

Oversized cucumbers

By: ASM   on  7/6/2007 9:34:13 PM

Thanks for that recipe.

Annette

Oversized cucumbers

By: kimm   on  7/9/2007 5:09:57 PM

Sweet and Sour cucumbers:

4 cups cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 cup white vinegar

Pour wet ingredients over cucumbers and store in fridge. My kids love these.

Oversized cucumbers

By: strollernut   on  10/20/2007 7:01:02 PM

My grandmother makes those cucumber apple rings, they are DELICIOUS! I never knew what they were called before, or how to make them--thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Oversized cucumbers

By: ebl57   on  11/27/2007 10:41:40 AM

Sliced cucumbers
sprinkle lightly:
salt
pepper
dill weed
onion powder
garlic powder

The cuc's 'sweat' and it all blends,
tastes like New Dill Pickles --natural barrel style

Ellen

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Oversized cucumbers

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy