Page Created On: 4/19/2014 7:43:47 AM for Titus2 Cookbook :: Healthy Homemade Granola & Nutrigrain bars
welcome to:

Cooking

Home Page

Healthy Homemade Granola & Nutrigrain bars

Replies to this thread: 18

By: ElkMoundMom   on  7/22/2003 8:20:04 AM

Ladies--I am looking for recipes for healthy homemade versions of my kids two favorite pre-packaged snacks. They just cost too much to buy! Thanks
Rena

By: ASM   on  7/22/2003 9:17:07 AM

Here's our favorite granola recipe. It is adapted from More With Less. You can add any flavorings, seeds, nuts, dried fruit you want. This is the basic recipe but some of the different batches we like are peanut butter with chocolate chips, almond flavoring with sliced almonds, extra coconut and sunflower seeds. Have fun and use your imagination.

Preheat oven to 250
Combine 2 cups whole wheat flour
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups coconut
Blend together seperately
1/2 cup water
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP salt
Add wet to dry and mix thoroughly. Spread out onto 2 greased cookie sheets and bake until golden which is about an hour. You want it to be dry and crumbly. Break it up and store into containers. We use ziploc bags.
Annette

By: BaylorMom   on  7/22/2003 11:12:49 AM

Here is our favorite! It is very similar to nutri-grain bars. They also freeze well. I just make them and what we don't eat we freeze for another time! I have always doubled the recipe. I buy a 32 oz. jar of preserves so this makes it easy. I use my Pampered Chef Bar pan to make the double batch in (don't know the size, but that should give you an idea of the size, I hope.) This pan works well, but it always goes over a little and some gets in the bottom of the oven!! So, if you don't like that you might want to use a bigger pan. I don't mind b/c it is not a lot.

Fruit and Grain Bars
1 Cup Butter or Margarine -- Softened
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Oats
16 Ounces Strawberry Preserves -- * See Note
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract

Cream margarine and sugar. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Add almond extract. Press half of crumb mixture into greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread with preserves. (*Use Strawberry, raspberry, peach or other favorite).
Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350* for 20-25 min. Cool and cut into bars.

By: OhioMomToFour   on  7/22/2003 12:52:56 PM

There was a wonderful recipe for microwave granola on another thread - I made it over the weekend with the kids, and they LOVED it. Do a search for *microwave granola*.....

By: ICropAlot   on  7/22/2003 1:17:08 PM

I have a question for ASM - how long does that stuff keep in a ziploc? Do you refrigerate, or just put in cupboards?

By: ASM   on  7/22/2003 2:16:12 PM

Ours is gone within two weeks tops so honestly I don't know how long it would stay good. I do not put it in the refrigerator, just in the cupboard. Remember it is all cooked. Annette

By: ElkMoundMom   on  7/22/2003 4:40:34 PM

Thanks! I will try both the recipes and also the microwave granola one. I should have been more specific though. I meant chewy granola bars like the Quacker brand ones. I invented a recipe a long time ago and it was good but then I added up the calories and it was about 600 per bar!! Yikes!

By: ASM   on  7/22/2003 7:09:12 PM

You can adapt the granola recipe into bars by adding an egg, and about 1/3 cup milk to the wet mixture. Press into the pan and then you can cut them. Does that help? Annette

By: Amanda   on  7/28/2003 2:12:30 PM

I tried that Nutrigrain bar recipe, and it was really yummy! I didn't have any preserves on hand, but I had just canned some plum jam, so I spread that on the base, and boy was it ever scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm going to make it next time it's my turn to bring snacks to church on Sunday morning (we're a small church, so the 9x13 will do us just fine).

By: meeghen   on  7/28/2003 10:49:01 PM

Some one posted one awhile back called "no bake granola bars" that my kids loved. I changed it a bit to make it more healthy (traded honey for the corn syrup, left out the rice crispies and added soy protien and wheat germ)

They aren't the lowest in fat because of the peanut butter- but I'm not worried about that with the kids. I just try not to eat them myself!

By: Jammerrissa   on  8/2/2003 5:11:19 PM

BaylorMom-
I just made your Fruit & Grain Bars this morning while my bread was raising. I used all ww flour and strawberry freezer jam. Boy, were they delicious!! Dh was hesitant to try them, as he usually doesn't like anything "fruity". So he took a tiny bite and raised his eyebrows up and down, then devoured the rest :). Thank you so much for sharing- this will definitely be a frequent repeat here!

By: lindsey64   on  10/18/2006 8:49:27 AM

BaylorMom...
I LOVE the nutri grain bar recipe...but I am having trouble with the remaining bread mixture that goes on the top. If I just sprinkle it on there are gaps, and if I press it down the jam all ends up on the top, so it's more like a tiny pie than a cereal bar! Am I doing something wrong or do you just sprinkle it on and have gaps that aren't covered?

By: ImNickiesRib   on  10/23/2006 7:48:58 PM

We also love the chewy Quaker Oats Granola Bars.
I came up with this recipe on my own.
I have no idea how many calories they have.
They are extremely EASY to make and very delicious.

1 Cup Sugar
2/3 Cup of Water
1 Cup of Regular Smooth or Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 Tbs. Vanilla
5 Cups Whole Oats
1 Cup Chocolate Chips

Heat first three ingredients in a large pan until sugar is dissolved.
Let cool for 3 minutes and add vanilla.
Stir in oats until well moistened.
Then stir in chocolate chips.
Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil.
Spread out and press mix into bottom of pan.
Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Turn onto a cutting board and peel off foil.
Cut in half lengthwise and then into bars.
Store in the refrigerator.

HIS†IS4US!

The Mills Family

Nickie, Melody, Darcy(13), Gavin(10), Justin(8), & Kyleigh(1)

By: biwmwn2   on  10/25/2006 11:59:42 AM

lindsey64,

I'm waiting to see what the answer to your question is? I'd love to try these, but would wonder the same thing as you. :0)

Have you seen the new MUNCHEMS, they are triangular, and come in both Cinnamon OR Honey. I'm wondering IF these can be made also?

By: biwmwn2   on  11/8/2006 1:44:32 PM

Does anyone have an idea on Lindsey64's Question???? I'd love to try them, but am waiting for Wonderful Titus2 Wisdom???

By: dbanner   on  11/8/2006 9:57:01 PM

We love this recipe!!! I sprinkle the topping/crumbs over the top, I don't press it down---you can see tiny bits of preserves peeking through---that doesn't bother us. I don't know if that is the way it was intended, but it's fine with us. The bars are super!! I also make them using reduced sugar fruit spread, since we cut back on sugar as much as possible.
Don't delay another day---make these and enjoy! :)

By: biwmwn2   on  11/13/2006 1:05:22 PM

dbanner....................Thanks you for responding :0)

Would you mind to see my Thread on "Crockpot and Milk"....I'm trying to figure something else out on a recipe BEFORE I cook it this week!

THANKS

By: biwmwn2   on  11/14/2006 7:40:11 AM

Can I substitute VANILLA for Almond Extract in the Nutrigrain Bars? What is the difference?

By: dbanner   on  11/14/2006 9:59:41 PM

I haven't tried substituting vanilla extract---the almond extract flavor/smell is really wonderful and noticeable---you might really miss it.
If you try it---please let me know how it was!

Thank you for your post. We will review and then approved it if it conforms to the board posting guidelines! Close. You are being redirected to the main forum page now.

Post Reply To: Healthy Homemade Granola & Nutrigrain bars

Subject:  
Welcome to the Forums!
Username:
Password:
Create Titus2 Account!, or don't remember your login information?

Having a Problem?
If you have been experiencing an error or a problem with the forums, please let us know!

Search Text:

Browse By Tag
Privacy Policy